First, I’ll give my honest opinion, and it’s quite different from what you’re likely to see on CNN. Obama’s first 100 days have been a disaster. I’ll go even farther. You’d have to either really not be paying attention, or a complete Obama partisan to think otherwise.
Let’s go to the tape:
- He campaigned on bringing change to Washington, avoiding “politics as usual”, but…
- His stimulus bill was passed with no real bipartisan support.
- He campaigned on transparency in government. He has none.
- His Cabinet appointments have been laughable. Apparently, all you have to do to get a Cabinet appointment from Obama is to not pay your taxes
- He continues to attack the previous administration, for no apparent reason other than to distract us from the failures of his own.
- Earmarks were supposed to be a thing of the past. So much for that.
- Ditto on allowing lobbyists positions inside his administration.
- Foreign Policy?
- Well, know about “the bow” and “the handshake” and “the iPod” , “the DVD’s”, and “the reset button”. Really, none of these are big deals. But they do paint an overall picture of amateurishness on the part of the Obama administration and State department. Do these people know nothing of protocol? How stupid are they?
- What’s worse is that his overseas trip was a complete failure. He pleaded for help in Afghanistan. He got none. The North Koreans were so impressed by him that they launched a missile as he was calling for nuclear disarmament. He claimed U.S. responsibility for the global economic downturn, which is odd since it started earlier elsewhere and has been deeper felt elsewhere as well.
- He hasn’t yet screwed things up in Iraq, so I guess that’s a plus.
- We haven’t yet had another 9/11, so that’s a plus too.
- Economic policy?
- The Dow was at roughly 8,000 when he took office, and still is, although it dropped to the 6,500 level in mid March. On the whole, not as bad as it could be.
- The state of economy is still worsening.
- He’s nationalizing the banks. Which, by the way, is a bad idea.
- He’s nationalizing GM.
- Before the nationalizations, the administration decided it had a) the knowledge, b) the power to fire CEOs of businesses.
- Housing prices are in freefall.
- Fiscal Policy?
- He recently asked his Cabinet to find $100 million in cuts over the next 90 days. Let’s put this in perspective. If your family is making $100,000 a year, and you did the equivalent, you’d budget to spend $150,000 this year, and then you’d cut out roughly $5 in spending. Yeah, that’s a big help.
- From the “a picture paints a trillion words department”:
- He wants to reinstitute Pay As You Go (to avoid pictures like the one above). Now, let’s be honest here. He just got a huge spending increase passed….so, do you really think he’s changed his mind and wants to cut all that back? Or is he going to raise taxes?
- General foolishness:
- No more “terrorist incidents”, but instead we have “man made disasters”.
- The DHS report on “Right Wing Extremists”
- For 8 years we heard about how bad a speaker President George W. Bush (R-USA) was, and how that meant he was dumb. So, is Obama now dumb too?
- And, as Glenn Reynolds likes to say, “meet the new boss, same as the old boss.”
The successes here are very small and few and far between. Good news, though. There’s only 1287 days until the 2012 general election.